Chinese Character Course
Once you’ve mastered the basics of spoken Chinese, learning characters will help enormously in taking your Chinese to the next level. In addition to being an art form, Chinese characters help give you an insight into the nature of the Chinese language. You can think of characters as the building blocks of the Chinese language. Once you have an understanding of the most common building blocks, you’ll be able to see and appreciate how these building blocks are combined in different ways to produce the rich vocabulary of the Chinese language. Learning characters will help you memorize new words (character combinations) with greater ease allowing your Chinese to progress much faster in the long-term.
Starting out on your quest to learn Chinese characters is s a daunting task for sure, but our Chinese Character courses will help make the process as painless as possible by giving you a logical program (and there’s a great deal of logic in the way Chinese characters are formed from their basic components) to follow.
How we can help you:
JMC has set up three courses for learning Chinese characters: character recognition, character writing and integrated courses (a combination of the recognition and writing content).
Character recognition course:
With the advent of technology, writing characters by hand has become less and less important in our daily lives. In fact most Chinese will admit to suffering from a phenomenon known as 提笔忘字 (tí bǐ wàng zì) – literally ‘picking up the pen and forgetting the character’ - because most of our writing these days is done on computers, cell phones and other device. The good news for Chinese learners is that being able to recognize characters will allow you not only to read materials in Chinese, but also write on computers and cell phones using pinyin input methods. So if you don’t need to write by hand, but want to be literate in Chinese this is the course for you.
We offer four levels:
- Level 1: You will be able to recognize a minimum of 200 Chinese characters and read simple, short passages.
- Level 2: You will master 800 Chinese characters and be able to read simple stories, notices or messages in Chinese characters.
- Level 3: You will master 1,600 Chinese characters and their related words and be able to read long articles in Chinese with the help of a dictionary.
- Level 4: You will master 2,000 Chinese characters and be able to read ads, menus, articles of Chinese magazines and newspapers.
Once you have mastered the most common 2000 characters, you’ll find it much easier to pick up new characters just by reading more and more. You’ll know about the most common radicals and phonetic components, and be able to break down characters into their logical components allowing you to memorize them more and more easily.
Character writing course:
If you want to learn to write Chinese by hand, you’ll have to put in a bit more effort. But the good news is that learning to write will give you a deeper understanding of the logic behind Chinese characters and help speed up the process of character recognition. If you need to take Chinese exams, then you’ll need to write by hand, but being able to write is also super useful for taking notes in your regular Chinese classes.
The character writing courses are broken down into three different levels:
- Level 1: You will understand the basic strokes that make up all Chinese characters, the different character structures and stroke order. By the end of the course, you will have mastered the most common of the 250+ single-component characters.
- Level 2: You will understand the most common radicals of Chinese characters along with their meanings, and master the most common 400+ multiple-component characters.
- Level 3: You will be able to use the characters learned in levels 1 & 2 to write complete sentences and paragraphs (focusing on characters from the HSK level 3 vocabulary list).
Our integrated character courses combine the writing and the recognition courses together so you can improve your writing and recognition skills at the same time.
|Package A||Package B||Package C|
|Price per Class||130 RMB||125 RMB||120 RMB|
|Package Price||4550 RMB||7500 RMB||9600 RMB|
How to apply:
You can apply for a free trial class by: